If you want to make a successful career change, learn from successful career changers. That why I’m excited to feature the story of my client Jeff.
When I first met Maggie three years ago I was stuck in my professional life.
Jeff had a stellar career path and a great job at a great company. Though he appreciated his experiences on the job, Jeff also had talents, ideas and potential that he wanted to express in other ways. Working with Jeff through Soul Search, Research and Job Search and mindset exercises, we were able to:
- reinforce his deep passion for history (and help him not give up on following his heart),
- help him see talents he wasn’t seeing and
- help him change his perspective for the better.
Jeff went on to recommit to growing his travel company called The Explorer’s Passage (TEP) and today, it’s thriving. Just recently Jeff returned from guiding a trip to the Antarctic for over 90 people (see photo above)! Because he really wants to serve, Jeff has also started a complimentary non-profit foundation to help people affected by PSTD –the Gladiator Trek Foundation. Its goal is helping people heal through the power of adventure in the mountains.
Take-Aways from Jeff’s experience that can support your own career change:
- Leverage your past experience – Jeff was in financial services for 15 years before deciding to pursue his entrepreneurial dreams full time. All that knowledge and experience is helping him work smarter not harder as he builds his new ventures.
- Take all the time you need – Jeff worked on his company for 6 1/2 years on the side before he left finance. He is a big believer that you don’t need to take a leap of faith but build slowly and safely. I agree and took four years to build my coaching business on the side while keeping a day job at Martha Stewart Living. You aren’t on anyone else’s time frame but your own. Make your transition the way that feels right to you.
- Appreciate those who’ve helped you -When you say thank you, people want to help you even more. Jeff appreciates the team and managers he worked with in his former corporate career and in facts looks to serve them well with his adventures. This article highlights Jeff’s gratitude for the financial services industry and the experiences it gave him. He also appreciates the work he and I did together and has this to say about it…
“Maggie provided me with guidance, insight, and support to break through these barriers and reach new heights. Over the past three years I have experienced a complete transformation.”
Jeff made a mindset shift and is making a living doing what he loves. If you have a career dream, perhaps it’s time to make it your living too. Take inspiration from Jeff’s example and contact me to get started on your own career change!
“We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained.”- Marie Curie